Learn the basics of employment law so you can legally hire, evaluate, and manage employees.Learn the basics of employment law so you can legally hire, evaluate and manage employees as a manager, supervisor, small business owner, human resource specialist, or corporate executive. This course will explain the difference between an employee and independent contractor: the basic types of employee benefits; effective hiring; evaluation, and termination procedures; methods to resolve employment disputes in and out of court; discrimination and union laws; and workplace safety rules.
You will gain an inside view of the law with court examples, real situations, and prevention strategies that prepare you to effectively resolve workplace issues. You will learn effective communication techniques, negotiation strategies, and what to expect if you do go to court. This course is a must for anyone who is (or aspires to be) a supervisor, manager, or human resources professional.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
- This course is based on U.S. Employment Laws and is not suitable for other areas.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
1 Employee or Independent Contractor?
2 Employment Benefits
3 Hiring Practices
4 Evaluating Employees
5 Employment Disputes
6 Employment Disputes in Court
7 Discrimination and Title VII
8 More Discrimination Laws
9 Labor Unions
10 Labor Negotiations
11 Workplace Safety
12 Legal Compliance