Learn foundational physical therapy principles, medical terminology, tasks, and responsibilities needed to work as a certified physical therapy aide.
What you will learn
- Explain the role, responsibilities, and qualifications of the certified physical therapy aide in various healthcare settings.
- Define medical terminology and word elements related to the practice of physical therapy.
- Summarize human anatomy, functional body movements, and system disorders as they relate to physical therapy.
- Identify proper positioning, patient transfers, common exercises, modalities, and medical equipment.
- Demonstrate ethical and legal behavior specific to healthcare settings.
- Differentiate between tasks appropriate for a certified physical therapy aide and other healthcare professionals.
How you will benefit
- Holding AMCA Physical Therapy Technician/Aide certification validates your skill set
- Developing transferable skills increases employment opportunities at healthcare settings, including physical therapist offices, hospitals, and nursing home facilities
- Building out a professional portfolio showcases skills and prepares you for the job search
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Webcam and microphone for testing.
- PC: Windows 7 or later.
- Mac: OS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Principles and Techniques of Patient Care
- Medical Terminology for Health Professions
There's a growing need for physical therapy aides. In fact, PT aide jobs will grow over 29 percent through 2029. This online course will help you master the skills you need to work as a physical therapy aide.
Not only will you be prepared for the AMCA's Physical Therapy Technician/Aide certification exam, but an externship starter kit will also walk you through everything you need to know to land a PT aide externship.
- The Physical Therapy Profession
- Medical Terminology
- Organization of the Human Body
- Principles of Pathology and Its Treatment
- Infection Control
- Body Mechanics
- Positioning and Draping Patients
- Transferring Patients Safely
- Wheelchair Basics
- Pressure Ulcers
- Normal and Abnormal Gait
- Ambulation Aids
- Ambulation Related Activities
- The Skeletal System
- The Muscular System
- Treatment of the Skeletal and Muscular Systems: Exercise
- Treatment of the Skeletal and Muscular Systems: Physical Agents
- The Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
- The Nervous System
- Treatment of the Cardiovascular, Respiratory, and Nervous Systems
- The Rest of the Organ Systems
- Communication in the PT Facility
- Records and Charting
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Your Career Journey (Optional Lesson)
Holly Trimble earned a bachelor's degree in physical therapy from the University of Colorado, a master's degree in pediatric physical therapy from Boston University, and a master's degree in biology from the University of Nebraska at Kearney. After working as a physical therapist for many years, Trimble transitioned into teaching. She has lectured on health-related topics to all age groups and works as an adjunct instructor of anatomy and physiology. She received an Adjunct Faculty Excellence Award and is the author of "College Success Now!"