This online course will teach you the competencies you'll need to sit for the AAPC Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) certification exam.
What you will learn
- Learn fundamental medical coding skills
- Acquire skills needed to review medical records and determine the appropriate CPT®, HCPCS Level II, and ICD-10-CM code sets
- Understand government/payer regulations
- Master coding for various conditions including chronic and acute varieties
How you will benefit
- Be prepared for the AAPC Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) exam
- Gain AAPC membership, COC practice exams and access to the Practicode Tool
- Help outpatient hospitals and facilities receive appropriate reimbursement
- Evaluate your skills throughout the course by completing quizzes and exams
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Windows Media Player or a similar program.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- AMA's CPT® Professional
- HCPCS Level II Professional
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Hospitals
The recommended reference material is optional, but it is recommended that you purchase the latest version should you choose to pursue for additional certifications:
- Medical dictionary, any publisher
Medical coding for outpatient facilities is an important skillset to help outpatient hospitals/facilities receive appropriate reimbursement and maintain compliance with coding guidelines and government/payer regulations. The material is presented in a step-by-step manner, and you will learn by completing readings and completing interactive lectures. The course also includes quizzes and exams, so you can test your skills at regular intervals throughout the material. Through these methods, you will learn essential introductory and advanced medical coding skills for outpatient hospitals/facilities.
You will also receive access to the AAPC Advanced ICD-10-CM Online Code Set Training which will take your ICD-10-CM coding skills to a higher level. You will get hands-on training that includes coding for conditions such as, clinical concepts for comprehensive coding of conditions, insight on chronic and acute conditions, and practical coding exercises. Upon completion of this course you will be prepared for the AAPC Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) exam.
This course offers enrollment with or without a voucher. The voucher is prepaid access to AAPC membership, COC practice exams, access to the Practicode tool, and the AAPC Certified Outpatient Coder (COC™) exam.
- Outpatient Hospital Facilities and Departments
- Outpatient Facilities
- Outpatient Hospital Departments
- Business in the Facility
- Typical Outpatient Hospital Flow
- Typical ASC Flow
- CMS Payment Systems (OPPS, DRG, IPPS, Revenue Codes) Overview
- Medicare Resources
- CMS Payment Systems
- Facility Billing
- Types of Payers
- Outpatient Code Editor (OCE)
- Medicare Appeals
- Compliance in the Outpatient Facility
- Compliance in the Facility
- OIG Work Plan
- Teaching Facilities
- Documentation and Coding Standards
- Anatomy and Medical Terminology
- Introduction to ICD-10-CM Coding
- ICD-10-CM Coding Guidelines with ICD-9-CM Application
- Introduction to CPT®, HCPCS Level II, Surgery Guidelines, and Modifiers for Facilities
- Introduction to CPT
- Introduction to HCPCS Level II
- Introduction to the Global Surgical Package and Modifiers
- Evaluation and Management Services for Facilities
- Integumentary System
- Musculoskeletal System
- Respiratory, Hemic, and Lymphatic Systems
- Cardiovascular System
- Digestive System
- Urinary System and Male Genital System
- Female Reproductive System
- Endocrine and Nervous Systems
- Eye, Ocular Adnexa, and Auditory Systems
- Pathology and Laboratory
- CMS and Outpatient Prospective Payment System
- CMS and Inpatient Prospective Payment System
- Inpatient Coding Overview with an introduction to ICD-10-PCS
- Introduction to ICD-10-PCS Guidelines – Parts 1 & 2
- Midterm and Final Exam
Lindsay-Anne McDonald Jenkins, CPC, COC, CPC-I, CMPA, CANPC, CIRCC, RN, CRNA (retired), has more than 30 years of experience in health care working as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). Her CRNA work involved open heart, neurological, and thoracic anesthesia. After retirement from anesthesia, Ms. Jenkins worked as a coder and consultant for a physician billing company. While developing a passion for coding, she became a coding instructor and has taught many classes for CPC® certification. Ms. Jenkins has reviewed coding and text for AAPC, edited numerous books on physician coding, and has spoken to coding groups and physicians.
Krishna Kant, COC, is a Coding Coach in the Education Department at AAPC. He joined AAPC in 2014 and has been coaching students enrolled in AAPC's on-line Distance Learning classes including Medical Terminology, COC & CPC certification courses. He is a proud military veteran having served for 15 years in the Navy. He has worked for 14 years in the US Healthcare Industry and spent 10 years of his healthcare career in medical transcription.
Nitesh Kareer, COC, has more than 12 years of experience in Medical Transcription Industry working as a Medical Transcriptionist, Trainer, Quality Analyst, and Quality Manager. He was also involved in Vendor Management and Training for assurance of quality services to the client. He started working as a medical coder in 2012. Nitesh joined AAPC in 2014 and since been working as a coding coach involved in answering student's queries and grading their course assignments.