In this course, you will develop your graphic design skills by learning how to use Photoshop, the gold standard in photo editing and design software.
What you will learn
- Learn the fundamentals of graphic design concepts and terminology
- Use any tool in the Photoshop workspace efficiently
- Take a look at the history of graphic design and advertising to understand how it affects design today
- Master how to correctly package a project for printing and production
How you will benefit
- Create an extensive digital portfolio that can be used to show potential employers and clients
- Master the features of Photoshop suite needed to create results-driven professional work
- Prepare yourself for a career as a graphic designer, art director, video game designer, web developer, photo editor, and more
- Develop your own design style that will distinguish you from competitors
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows Vista or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan (Adobe Photoshop CC) will be provided with your tuition upon enrollment. It will be valid for one year after the activation date.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Most software is not included in the cost of tuition, only Adobe Photoshop CC. Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Adobe® Photoshop® Creative Cloud Revealed
- Graphic Design Basics
- Graphic Design Solutions
This nationally recognized training course will teach you the fundamentals of Adobe Photoshop, the gold standard for image creation and editing. This course will teach you graphic design basics and build your skills step-by-step, as you master the terms and processes used by professional graphic artists. You'll not only learn the rules and standards for effective graphic design, but you'll also discover strategies for creating graphics that convey desired messages, styles, and tones.
You'll practice with real-world examples, challenges, and thought-provoking assignments and learn how to determine a client's needs. Then, you'll design marketing materials to meet those needs, in addition to assembling your designs in an online portfolio to enter the industry. This course will help you create images that stand apart from the competition, in addition to positioning you for a rewarding career in graphic design.
- Understanding the Client
- Assessing client needs
- What is the client trying to promote?
- Who is the target audience?
- Designing the Logo
- Creating effective logo designs
- Submitting proofs
- Collaborating with the client
- Making a final selection
- Design, Layout, and Color Fundamentals
- Defining the style and tone of the project
- Understanding effective layouts
- Choosing the right colors
- Working with Type
- Understanding the role of type in graphic design
- Identifying font characters
- Choosing the right fonts for headings and body text
- Working with blocks of text
- Photo Editing
- Opening a photo in Photoshop
- Resizing the image
- Cropping images
- Using image retouching tools
- Auto tone, color, and contrast
- Creating a composite image
- Designing a Brochure
- Laying out your brochure's six
- Choosing colors and fonts
- Selecting images
- Building effective headline and body text
- Fine-tuning your layout for visual impact and usefulness
- Creating Print Advertising
- Designing an ad for print
- Effective use of space
- Conveying information
- Creating a compelling image
- Designing for the Web
- Understanding the web design process
- Creating web content
- Designing an effective web page
- Optimizing images for the web
- Building a searchable page
- Designing for social media
- Email Advertising
- Creating email advertising
- Creating an effective email blast
- Designing a readable email
- Working with automated email services
- Bringing it all Together
- Creating a complete marketing package
- Production methods
- Creating camera-ready art for print
- Website options
Laurie Ulrich has been writing about and teaching people to use Microsoft Office for more than 20 years—including personally training thousands of students, writing hundreds of training manuals, and authoring and co-authoring more than 30 books on subjects including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access. Her books include 2000-page epics that document every button, bell, and whistle, as well as friendlier introductory and troubleshooting books for new users. Her most recent publication on Microsoft Access is Access 2016 for Dummies. In addition to writing and teaching, Laurie runs her own firm, Limehat & Company, providing training, marketing, graphic design, and web development services to clients throughout the world, with a focus on helping growing companies and non-profit organizations build their brand through effective promotions, outreach, and education.
Randy Rolen has been a professional Graphic Designer for 32 years. After working as the Senior Graphic Designer in high tech companies for many years, he started his own design firm in 1993, and began to specialize in web based design, including websites and banner advertising. He has also been teaching online since 2002.