In this course, you will develop your graphic design skills by learning how to use Photoshop, the gold standard in photo editing and design software. This program will help you create work that stands apart from the competition, enables you to brand yourself, and positions you for a rewarding career in the ever-expanding world of graphic design.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac. A Chromebook is not compatible.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.14 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word or an equivalent word-processing program.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- The Elements of Graphic Design, by Alex W. White
- Exploring Typography
- Your enrollment in this course also includes a 12-month subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan. You will learn how to activate this subscription during the course.
Please Note: You will receive a digital book if the physical book is on backorder.
This course will provide you with robust instructions on how to use Adobe Photoshop as a tool to create engaging and effective visuals. Using principles, theories, and time-tested practices of graphic design, you will discover strategies for producing images that convey desired messages, styles, and tones.
You will practice with real-world examples, challenges, and thought-provoking assignments and learn how to determine a client's needs, create work to meet those needs, and assemble your work in an online portfolio to enter the industry. The course's combination of creative, technical, and soft skills will offer you a well-rounded and challenging learning experience.
- Jumping into Photoshop
- Understanding Graphic Design Fundamentals
- Basic Photo Editing
- Selections, Painting, and Using Brushes
- Tourism Project
- Masking and Advanced Compositing
- Using Your Skills Professionally
- Building a Portfolio
- Final Exam
What you will learn
- Learn Master the fundamentals of graphic design concepts and terminology Adobe Photoshop
- Use any tool in the Photoshop workspace efficiently Demonstrate knowledge of basic design and typography principles
- Take a look at the history of Define common graphic design and advertising to understand how it affects design today terms
- Master how Use the design process to correctly package a project for printing and production work effectively with clients
- Develop a personal brand and incorporate social media
- Produce a portfolio using a variety of graphic design techniques
How you will benefit
- Create an extensive digital portfolio that can be used to show potential employers and clients
- Master the features of Photoshop suite needed to create results-driven professional work
- Prepare yourself for a career as a graphic designer, art director, video game designer, web developer, photo editor, and more
- Develop your own design style that will distinguish you from competitors
Laurie Ulrich has been writing about and teaching people to use Microsoft Office for more than 20 years—including personally training thousands of students, writing hundreds of training manuals, and authoring and co-authoring more than 30 books on subjects including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access. Her books include 2000-page epics that document every button, bell, and whistle, as well as friendlier introductory and troubleshooting books for new users. Her most recent publication on Microsoft Access is Access 2016 for Dummies. In addition to writing and teaching, Laurie runs her own firm, Limehat & Company, providing training, marketing, graphic design, and web development services to clients throughout the world, with a focus on helping growing companies and non-profit organizations build their brand through effective promotions, outreach, and education.