This online Certificate in Mediation and Arbitration course will provide you with the skills and knowledge needed to practice mediation and arbitration in your current career or private practice.
What you will learn
- Articulate the use of the INACCORD® Conflict Analysis model for use in mediation and arbitration
- Examine the three phases and four stages of the INACCORD® model used in mediation and arbitration
- Explore the pre-interview and post-interview phases of the INACCORD® mediation and arbitration model
- Apply the Touchstone Skills of questioning, reflecting, and reframing to simulated mediation and arbitration cases
- Apply INACCORD® surveys to simulated mediation and arbitration cases, and analyze the results
- Examine and apply the INACCORD® model to the most common workplace disputes
How you will benefit
- Receive four individual certificates in Mediation, Applied Mediation Practice, Arbitration and Professional Mediator and Arbitrator
- Prepare yourself for a career as a mediator or arbitrator within the state or local government, finance, and insurance industries, or private practice
- Use your improved conflict resolution skills to solve disputes in the home or workplace
- Understand how to effectively help others negotiate and collaborate through disputes
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- You need a microphone to participate in the role play practices.
- PC: Windows Vista or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Windows Media Player (not included in enrollment).
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. Your materials will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment.
This course will provide you with the comprehensive training needed to become a certified mediation or arbitration professional. It is structured around the Mediators Without Borders INACCORD® conflict resolution model, and offers you the chance to practice your skills through simulated roleplaying exercises. Skills covered include facilitating hearings, weighing evidence and testimony, and rendering awards, as well as fundamentals of conflict analysis and resolution. Upon successful completion, Mediators Without Borders will award you four individual certificates in Mediation, Applied Mediation Practice, Arbitration and Professional Mediator and Arbitrator. A final exam is optional upon completion of the course.
- Mediation Certificate
- Justice and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Overview of INACCORD® Conflict Analysis Model
- Phases and Stages of the INACCORD® Conflict Analysis Model
- The Touchstone Skills Part I
- The Touchstone Skills Part II
- Crafting the Memorandum of Agreement
- Special Issues in Mediation
- Legal Processes and Ethics
- Applied Practice
- INACCORD® Conflict Analysis in Practice
- Touchstone Skills in Practice
- INACCORD® Demo Practice
- Facilitating INACCORD® Phase Two, Stage 1 Interventions
- Facilitating the INACCORD® Caucus
- INACCORD® Phase Two, Stages 2 & 3 Interventions
- INACCORD® Phase Two, Stage 4 Interventions
- Ethical Dilemmas and Mitigation
- Arbitration, Justice, and Ethics
- INACCORD® Conflict Analysis model for Arbitration & Phase One
- The Preliminary Conference
- Directing the Hearing: Part I
- Directing the Hearing: Part II
- Closing the Hearing
- Rendering the Award
- International Arbitration
Brian Luther is a Colorado licensed attorney and certified mediator and arbitrator. He has more than 15 years of mediation and dispute resolution experience. He spent eight years supervising and mentoring attorneys at LexisNexis, a leading legal research corporation and over five years as Lead Trainer and Internship Supervisor for Mediators Without Borders. Luther presides as an impartial Hearing Officer for the City of Longmont, Colorado and was just appointed as an alternate board member for the City of Longmont Board of Adjustments & Appeals. He is a graduate of Rutgers University and has a law degree from the New England School of Law.
Naseem Ghaffari, JD assists with investigations related to employee relations issues, while effectively and accurately maintaining confidential employee relations. She monitors precedents and manages consistency in EEO practices: Including critical incident management, investigations, contract negotiations, and resolution recommendations. Naseem has 7+ years' experience resolving disputes in the workplace and international environments and has extensive investigative experience. She is an expert in negotiations, bargaining, and mediation resulting in favorable agreements and contract terms. In order to do so, she fosters reconciliations to improve organizational effectiveness and employee performance. Most recently, she worked in the public sector as an Employee Relations, EEO and ADA consultant. In addition to this, she holds a Juris Doctorate, has a Masters Certification in International Conflict Resolution and Mediation, and is a Certified California Mediator.