Earn your high school diploma and prepare to enter the job market as you master skills valued by today's employers.
What you will learn
- Earn your AdvancED/SACS accredited high school diploma
- Earn a "Professional Skills Training" career certificate
- Complete a career portfolio with cover letter, resume, and more
How you will benefit
- Receive an accredited high diploma, which allows you to apply for a broader scope of jobs
- Create a portfolio, cover letter, and resume to provide to potential employers
- Develop the skills needed to thrive in a professional setting or at a higher education institution
- Learn how to effectively study, communicate, and problem solve, and take these skills into your personal and professional life
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Speakers or headphones.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
As you earn your diploma, you'll also gain valuable skills to prepare yourself for a job in a wide array of fields. You'll learn the computer skills needed in today's job market—from emailing, using the Internet, and setting up a PC, to using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The course also covers the most fundamental on-the-job skills, including communication, professional conduct, time management, conflict resolution, and essential self-and work-management techniques.
When you enroll, you are assigned an Academic Coach who will provide you with support and help you stay on track. Should you need additional academic support, you will be assigned to a qualified instructor, certified in the areas of mathematics, science, language arts, or social studies, who will work directly with you. When you complete the course, you'll graduate with a high school diploma and a career-credentialed certificate. And you'll prepare for the job market by creating your own career portfolio, including a resume, cover letters and more. Don't delay your future—get started now in earning the skills and credentials you need for career success! The career component of this course takes an estimate of 120 hours to complete; however, the hours for the high school diploma general education can vary based on the number of high school credits you have prior to enrollment.
Career Online High School is a division of Smart Horizons Career Online Education, a private school district that has been granted District Accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) accreditation seal. This means that the SHCOE district and all its schools are accredited, and that Smart Horizons Career Online Education is recognized across the nation as a quality school system.
AdvancED is the unified organization of the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). AdvancED provides nationally recognized accreditation for school districts and individual schools and represents 27,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 65 countries worldwide, educating 15 million students.
Students and community members can learn more about the District Accreditation Process at www.advanc-ed.org.
Smart Horizons has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 1780 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500 McLean, VA 22102.
Students interested in pursuing post-secondary education within their state should check with the state to understand the requirements. States may impose requirements for receiving state financial aid. For example, an online high school diploma may not be recognized by some colleges and universities within a state to receive financial aid. It is recommended that students check with a specific institution for any specific restrictions—this is particularly important for residents of New York and New Jersey.
- General Career Preparation 1: Semester 1
- Understanding Self-Esteem
- Setting Goals
- Learning Styles
- Professional Uses of Technology
- Security in Technology
- 21st-Century Written Business Communication
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Anger Management
- Conflict Resolution Strategies
- Communication and Diversity
- Communication in the Workplace
- Sexual Harassment Awareness
- Ethical Behavior
- General Career Preparation 1: Semester 1 End of Semester Exam
- General Career Preparation 1: Semester 2
- Basics of Note-Taking
- Reading Comprehension
- Understanding and Improving Study Habits
- Memory Techniques
- Test-Tasking Skills
- Effective Environments for Learning
- Distractions and Deterrents to Educational Success
- What is Motivation?
- Trust and Motivation
- Change as a Motivator
- Embracing Change
- Critical Thinking Basics
- Problem Solving Model
- Decision Making
- Improving Decision Making
- General Career Preparation 1: Semester 2 End of Semester Exam
- General Career Preparation 2: Semester 1
- Communication Overview
- Verbal Communication
- Verbal Business Communication
- Written Communication
- Written Business Communication
- Nonverbal Communication
- Communication Styles and Interpersonal Communication
- Effective Communication
- Active Listening
- Assertive vs. Aggressive Communication
- Communicating in Difficult Situations
- Difficult Behaviors in the Workplace
- Negativity and Power Struggles at Work
- Working with Procrastinators and Untrustworthy People
- Communicating by Telephone
- Networking for Success
- General Career Preparation 2: Semester 1 End of Semester Exam
- General Career Preparation 2: Semester 2
- What is Stress?
- Signs and Symptoms of Stress
- Sources of Stress
- Techniques for Managing Stress
- Anxiety and Stress
- Mindset and Stress
- Stress and Values Clarification
- Stress at Work
- Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- Emotional Intelligence Skills
- Understanding Anger
- Anger Cycle
- Anger Management
- Conflict Basics
- Conflict Resolution
- Addressing Violent Situations
- General Career Preparation 2: Semester 2 End of Semester Exam
Karen Panerali has more than 20 years of experience in instruction, curriculum development, and academic support. Her teaching experience includes high school, college, and corporate training settings. She holds a Bachelor of Art in Journalism and a Master of Arts in liberal arts studies.
Kimberly Sher has been an academic coach for more than 13 years. Previously, she was a science instructor at the University of Miami. She holds a bachelor's degree in biology and a master's degree in chemistry education.
Yianna Pavlakos is an Academic Coach and Social Studies Academic Support Instructor with 14 years of experience. She has a Bachelor's degree in history and philosophy and a Master's degree in history.
Shauna Paedae is a Math Academic Support Instructor. She is a National Board Certified Teacher with a Master's degree in statistics, a Bachelor's degree in mathematics, and 31 years of teaching experience.