Learn the basics of payroll and prepare to take the Fundamental Payroll Certification exam, developed by the American Payroll Association, the most widely recognized payroll organization in the U.S.
What you will learn
- Identify various laws and regulations that affect employers in their payroll operations
- Identify the various deductions, both voluntary and involuntary, that are taken out of employees' gross pay
- Calculate gross and net pay
- Explain the use of the forms required to withhold, deposit, and report federal income taxes
- Recognize dates and regulations to ensure payroll compliance and reporting
- Understand the payroll process and supporting systems and administration
- Correctly apply payroll policies and procedures of a payroll department
- Journalize payroll transactions and post to appropriate general ledger accounts
- Be able to process a payroll from start to finish (payroll project)
How you will benefit
- Be prepared to pass the FPC exam, and become certified in the fundamentals of payroll
- Having a certification in payroll is a desirable attribute that many employers seek in payroll candidates
- With certification comes additional knowledge and skill that is not often taught in the workplace
- Be able to search and apply for payroll jobs, with the additional resume skills
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word or an equivalent word-processing program.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional material required for this program is included in enrollment. The following textbook will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Payroll Accounting 2020, by Bernard J. Bieg and Judith A. Toland
Payroll is one of the fastest-changing career fields in the business world today. This course will help you navigate ever-changing payroll rules and regulations, so you can succeed as a payroll professional. You will learn all facets of payroll from basic laws to complex areas like fringe benefits, taxation, and garnishments. By course completion, you will be ready to pass the Fundamental Payroll Certification exam, developed by the American Payroll Association.
- Introduction to Payroll
- Determining Worker Status
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Federal Employment Taxes
- Payroll Forms
- Fringe Benefits – Tax-Preferred and Other Related Health Benefits
- Fringe Benefits – Deferred Comp, Retirement Plans, and Stock Options
- Other Employee Benefits
- Calculating Gross Wages
- Calculating Gross Pay – Additional Topics
- Paycheck Calculation – Taxes
- Paycheck Calculation – Voluntary and Involuntary Deductions
- Gross to Net Paycheck Calculation
- Compliance – Laws and Reporting
- Global Payroll
- Payroll Process and Systems, and Audits
- Paying the Employee
- Payroll Administration and Management
- Basic Accounting
- Exploring Payroll Careers
- Exam Preparation
- Payroll Project
Helene K. Liatsos is business advisor and QuickBooks Certified Advisor with more than 25 years of experience. She consults for a range of companies, from travel agencies to startups. Her company Home Office Management Experts was awarded the 2004 Home-Based Business of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration. Helene holds a Bachelor of Arts from Fairleigh Dickinson University.