Learn to develop individual nutrition programs for clients, patients, or personal use.
What you will learn
- Understand functional food implementation
- Explore meal plan analysis
- Learn appropriate behavioral modifications and dietary approaches for different ages and populations
- Understand vitamin supplementation and weight management
- Gain a foundation for wellness nutrition based on current scientific research
- Understand how to reinforce positive food habits and behaviors
- Learn how to personalize meal plans for yourself or your clients
- Identify common myths and fallacies concerning diet and athletic performance
How you will benefit
- Jump-start your career as a medical or health professional, registered dietitian, or fitness professional
- Learn the nutritional needs of the human body, and apply this knowledge to your personal and professional life
- Develop a professional vocabulary that focuses on nutritional and fitness needs
- Gain the confidence you need to counsel others about their nutritional needs
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Nutrition for Health, Fitness, & Sport
Whether you are a health or medical professional, a registered dietitian, a fitness professional, or just someone who's concerned about their own health, this online course will teach you about developing individualized nutritional programs. You'll explore topics such as energy and nutrient needs for daily living, with emphasis on particular physical activities, common myths and fallacies concerning diet and athletic performance, and appropriate behavioral modifications and dietary approaches for different ages and populations.
The content in each module is designed to prepare allied health care professionals and registered dietitians to apply their client's health history toward optimal nutritional health and wellbeing. Personal trainers and fitness professionals will learn fundamental nutrition education to use with clients in partnership with registered dietitians. Individuals interested in learning more about nutrition, daily meal planning, wellness strategies, and sport nutrition and performance will discover information to help them achieve their own goals or to support family members in reaching their goals.
The American College of Sports Medicine's Professional Education Committee certifies that Educational Fitness Solutions, Inc, who helped create this course, meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status. Providership # 672784. This course is approved for 80 Continuing Education Credits through ACSM.
- Nutrition and You: Functional Foods
- Define Functional Foods, Choosing Functional Foods, and Functional Foods Protection
- Understand How to Incorporate Spices Into Your Diet
- Review the General Guidelines and Foods to Include in Your Meal Plan
- Gain Knowledge of Diet Diversity and Free-radical Theory
- Weight Management and Nutrition in the Lifecyle
- Define Obesity, Incidence, and Contributing Factors
- Understand the Basic Principles of Obesity Treatment, Interventions, and Contributing Factors
- Review Fad Diets and Practical Strategies
- Learn About the Obesity Epidemic and Weight-Management Programs
- Introduction to Sports Nutrition and Performance
- Gain an Understanding of Nutrition, Exercise, and Sports-related Fitness
- Understand Nutrition for Performance and Energy Utilization
- Learn about Protein, Ergogenic Aids, and Hydration in Sports Nutrition
- Learn about Meals for Competitions
- Public Nutrition and Wellness Education
- Understand Genomics and Evidence-based Medicine
- Examine New, Yet Old, Healthful Diets
- The Role, Functions, and Recommendations for Vitamins
- What's New in Wellness and Cancer Prevention
Melissa Halas-Liang is a registered dietitian, with a Master's in nutrition education and a certification in nutrition support. In addition to working as a clinical dietitian, she assists in clinical trials, has taught group diabetes classes, and has counseled patients on weight loss. She has spoken on a wide range of topics in the community, from diet and fitness to high school sports nutrition. She has spoken at the Woman's Health Symposium on Fad Diets and on Weight Management and Disease Prevention. Melissa has published articles in periodicals on healthy eating and edited textbook nutrition sections. She developed curriculums for medical residents and lectured to healthcare professionals for continuing education credits on a variety of topics. Melissa's enthusiasm for healthy eating is contagious, and her outgoing and interactive approach to learning motivates her audience to commit to new lifestyles.
Donna L. Acox, MA, MS, RD, CD/N, has over 25 years of diverse experience in nutrition. She currently works as a Dietitian II for the State of New York's Office for Persons with Developmental Disabilities and is an adjunct nutrition instructor at Syracuse University. As an avid athlete and sports nutrition specialist, Acox also teaches fitness and physical education classes and is a certified Fitness and AFAA yoga instructor.