Prepare for the future of medical coding by mastering the steps for using the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS to code medical diagnoses and procedures.
What you will learn
- Understand the structure of an ICD-10-CM code
- Navigate the layout of the ICD-10-CM coding manual
- Identify and apply the steps required code diagnoses and procedures using the ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding manuals
- Describe the layout and guidelines of the ICD-10-PCS
- Identify the characters that make up an ICD-10-PCS code and identify each character's purpose
How you will benefit
- Jump-start your career as a medical coder, medical administrative assistant, front office coordinator, or insurance claims specialist
- Learn how to code to better serve the needs of patients, healthcare staff, physicians, and IT specialists
- Set yourself apart from competitors by learning skills within a niche industry
- This course must be taken on a PC. Macs are not compatible.
- Windows 8 or newer.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge is also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Understanding ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS: A Worktext
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Physicians
- ICD-10-PCS Expert
ICD-10 is an upgraded diagnostic and procedural medical coding system that, by law, must be implemented throughout the healthcare industry. This new coding system is radically different from the version currently in use, so it's important to start preparing for and implementing the massive changes to the existing coding system. This online course offers you comprehensive, robust training in diagnostic and procedural coding, using the ICD-10-CM (diagnostic) and ICD-10-PCS (procedural) coding manuals.
This training includes detailed instructions for using the coding manuals, understanding the coding guidelines, and accurately applying the ICD-10 coding steps. There are more than 40 quizzes and exams for diagnoses and procedures by body system to test your knowledge and understanding. In addition, you will find information on the impact of the coding changes on medical coders, healthcare staff, physicians, software systems, documentation, and information technology.
- Introduction to the ICD-10 Code Sets
- Structure, Conventions, Guidelines, and Coding Steps
- Diseases, Disorders, and Cancers of Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic
- Infectious and Parasitic Disease
- Diseases of the Blood and Blood Forming Organ
- Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Disorder
- Mental and Behavioral Disorder
- Nervous System
- Diseases and Disorders of the Upper Body Systems
- Eye and Adnexa
- Ear and Mastoid Process
- Circulatory System
- Respiratory System
- Diseases of the Digestive System
- Diseases of the Skin, Genitourinary, and Musculoskeletal System
- Skin and Subcutaneous System
- Musculoskeletal System
- Genitourinary System
- Conditions Existing in Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Newborns
- Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium
- Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period
- Congenital Malformations, Deformities, and Abnormalities
- Symptoms and Signs of Injury, Poisoning, and Impairment
- Symptoms, Signs, and Abnormal Conditions
- Injury, Poisoning, and Consequences of External Causes
- External Causes of Morbidity
- Factors influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services
Carline Dalgleish has worked in medical office administration for over 30 years. She holds a bachelor's degree in Business Information Systems, a master's degree in Leadership, and a post-baccalaureate certificate in Health Information Management. She is a Registered Health Information Administrator and an AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer. Dalgleish is the author of an ICD-10 coding system and also owns her own consulting firm, AnnGrant Educational Services.