Earn your high school diploma and CPO certification as you prepare for a career as a security guard or protection officer.
What you will learn
- Learn how to handle online work and tasks within the workplace
- Learn how to handle online work and tasks within the workplace Receive an overview of basic personal, professional, and self-management skills, including setting goals, professional communication skills, and time management and stress management techniques
- Understand types of security and patrol; discuss relations with police, the public, and labor organizations
- Know how to handle evidence and basic safety requirements
How you will benefit
- Earn your AdvancED/SACS accredited high school diploma
- Earn a self-study CPO certificate that meets the academic requirements to obtain the CPO credential
- Complete a career portfolio with cover letter, resume, and more
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Speakers or headphones.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Earn your high school diploma as you prepare for a career in the high-demand field of criminal justice! This 18-credit high school course will teach you the skills you need to begin a career as a security guard or protection officer. The course is offered entirely online, and you can work at your own pace. When you enroll, you are assigned an Academic Coach who will provide you with support and help you stay on track. Should you need additional academic support, you will be assigned to a qualified instructor certified in the areas of mathematics, science, language arts, and social studies, who will work directly with you.
When you complete the course, you will graduate with a high school diploma from Career Online High School and a Certified Protection Officer (CPO) certification. The career component of this course takes an estimate of 120 hours to complete; however, the hours for the High School Diploma general education can vary based on the number of high school credits you have prior to enrollment.
Career Online High School is a division of Smart Horizons Career Online Education, a private school district that has been granted District Accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) accreditation seal. This means that the SHCOE district and all its schools are accredited, and that Smart Horizons Career Online Education is recognized across the nation as a quality school system.
AdvancED is the unified organization of the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). AdvancED provides nationally recognized accreditation for school districts and individual schools and represents 27,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 65 countries worldwide, educating 15 million students.
Students and community members can learn more about the District Accreditation Process at www.advanc-ed.org.
Smart Horizons has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 1780 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500 McLean, VA 22102.
"Students interested in pursuing post-secondary education within their state should check with the state to understand the requirements. States may impose requirements for receiving state financial aid. For example, an online high school diploma may not be recognized by some colleges and universities within a state to receive financial aid. We recommend students check with a specific institution for any specific restrictions—this is particularly important for residents of New York and New Jersey."
- 18 High School Credits
- Certified Protection Officer 1: Semester 1
- Understanding Self-Esteem
- Setting Goals
- Learning Styles
- Professional Uses of Technology
- Security in Technology
- 21st-Century Written Business Communication
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Anger Management
- Conflict Resolution Strategies
- Communication and Diversity
- Communication in the Workplace
- Sexual Harassment Awareness
- Ethical Behavior
- Certified Protection Officer 1: Semester 1 End of Semester Exam
- Certified Protection Officer 1: Semester 2
- Types of Security
- Protection of People
- Basic Professionalism and Ethics
- Basic Public Relations
- Labor Relations
- Relations with Police
- Memory and Observation Skills
- Taking Notes
- Techniques for Writing Reports
- Understanding Techniques
- Types of Patrol
- Factors of Patrol
- Protection Officers and Traffic Control
- Protective Clothing
- Methods of Controlling Traffic
- Construction Traffic and Flagpersons
- Crowd Control
- Certified Protection Officer 1: Semester 2 End of Semester Exam
- Certified Protection Officer 2: Semester 1
- Preserving Evidence
- Providing Testimony
- Perimeter, Area, and Point Protection Systems
- Techniques for Controlling Access and Egress
- Badges, Digital Controls, and Barriers
- Security of Information
- General Safety
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Fire Safety
- Basic Fire Prevention, Detection, and Suppression
- Fire Classes and Extinguishers
- Officer Responsibilities in Case of Fire
- Emergency Measures Plan
- Advanced First Aid
- Certified Protection Officer 2: Semester 1 End of Semester Exam
- Certified Protection Officer 2: Semester 2
- What is Stress?
- Signs and Symptoms of Stress
- Sources of Stress
- Techniques for Managing Stress
- Anxiety and Stress
- Mindset and Stress
- Stress and Values Clarification
- Stress at Work
- Emotional Intelligence (EI)
- Emotional Intelligence Skills
- Understanding Anger
- Anger Cycle
- Anger Management
- Conflict Basics
- Conflict Resolution
- Addressing Violent Situations
- Certified Protection Officer 2: Semester 2 End of Semester Exam
Karen Panerali has more than 20 years of experience in instruction, curriculum development, and academic support. Her teaching experience includes high school, college, and corporate training settings. She holds a Bachelor of Art in Journalism and a Master of Arts in liberal arts studies.
Kimberly Sher has been an academic coach for more than 13 years. Previously, she was a science instructor at the University of Miami. She holds a bachelor's degree in biology and a master's degree in chemistry education.
Yianna Pavlakos is an Academic Coach and Social Studies Academic Support Instructor with 14 years of experience. She has a Bachelor's degree in history and philosophy and a Master's degree in history.
Shauna Paedae is a Math Academic Support Instructor. She is a National Board Certified Teacher with a Master's degree in statistics, a Bachelor's degree in mathematics, and 31 years of teaching experience.