Learn how to grow delicious, nutritious fruit and vegetables in your own backyard.
Grow delicious, nutritious fruit and vegetables in your own backyard! In this course, you'll learn how to give your garden a healthy start and keep it growing strong all season.
You'll begin by figuring out which type of garden is right for you. You'll explore climate considerations, learn how to read a zone hardiness map, and find out how to spot a micro-climate in your yard. You'll discover how to properly prepare a garden bed so your crops have the best opportunity to thrive. You'll even learn to understand fertilizers and make compost! Whether you want to provide your family with nutritious food, save money, get some exercise, or just be more self-sufficient, this course will give you the skills and knowledge you need to be on your way to a successful harvest.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
1 Why Grow Your Own Garden?
2 What Should You Grow in Your Garden?
3 Preparing Your Garden
4 Your Garden Soil
5 Leafy Greens
6 Root Vegetables
7 Vine and Bush Vegetables
8 Fruits and Berries
10 Irrigation and Your Garden
11 Collecting Seeds and Preserving Your Harvest
12 End-of-Season Cleanup