This course focuses on the skills and knowledge needed to become a catering professional. Catering management studies the practical elements of marketing, managing and operating quality, and safe and successful events.
What you will learn
- The foundations of integrated disciplines such as event planning, food and beverage management, sales and marketing, human resources, accounting practices and legal contracts.
- To manage the challenges of employee inductions, performance appraisals, exit interviews, staffing requirements, food safety, legal requirements and licensing, budgeting considerations and profit margins.
How you will benefit
- A broad-based training to work in catering prepares you for entry level work in the catering industry.
- Knowledge of catering management complements previous work experience within the catering and events industry.
- Learn the foundations of catering management without having to pursue a degree in hospitality.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- This course is preferred with the latest versions of Windows and Mac OS. Although the versions listed below are compatible, it's strongly recommended to have the latest operating system for an optimal experience.
- PC: Windows 10 or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download the Acrobat Reader.
- Applications are not included in the cost of tuition and must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
The Catering Professional provides the foundational skills needed for a career in the catering and events industry by teaching the elements of catering services, including overseeing events and functions and collaborating with other catering services. You will gain the ability to plan for successful food preparation and apply beverage management requirements.
This course will also demonstrate best practices for marketing a catering business, considerations for preparing and executing contracts, effectively manage human resources, and applying basic accounting principles. It will also prepare you for the Certified Professional in Catering and Events (CPCE).
- The Elements of Catering Services
- Catering Events
- Food Service Styles
- The Essentials of Main Service Styles
- The Advantages of Main Service Styles
- Resources Required for Main Service Styles
- Budget Considerations for Main Service Styles
- Calculating Human Resource Requirements for Main Service Styles
- Matching the Service Style to the Catering Event
- Events Management Collaboration
- The Structure of Event Types
- Event Planning
- Additional Catering and Event Services
- Food Production Practices
- Food Production Systems and Methods
- Food Safety Requirements
- Converting Measurements
- Portion Estimation for Events
- Beverage Management Requirements
- Legal Considerations
- Characteristics of Spirits
- Characteristics of Wine
- Beverage Profit Margins
- Sales and Marketing Plans
- Target Markets
- Marketing Plans
- Sales Forecasts
- Catering Contracts
- Elements of a Contract
- Essential Clauses
- Other Laws
- Human Resource Planning
- The Recruitment Process
- Employee Inductions
- The Training Cycle
- Performance appraisals
- Exit Interviews
- Accounting Principles
- Accounting Terminology
- Financial Statements
- Accounting Methods
- Inventory Valuation Methods
Thea Roberts is an instructor with a background in business administration. Previously, she was a finance officer and employment advisor. She also held a position in the Washington State Ombudsman Program. Roberts holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Master of Arts.
Liselle Turner is a content writer and project manager. In addition to her background in advertising, she has worked in the learning and development industry. Turner holds a Bachelor of Business, a Diploma of Hospitality and Management, and a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.