This course provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of the hospitality industry and an overview of the various roles and responsibilities within hotel management.
What you will learn
- Overview of the hospitality business
- Introduction to essential hotel management roles
- Areas of management, including staff leadership, activity and event coordination, and food and beverage roles
- Foundations of integrated disciplines including business management, hospitality and tourism, logistics, and record keeping
How you will benefit
- This course provides fundamental knowledge and skills required to work in the hotel industry
- Learn the basics of hotel management without committing to years of study
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- This course is preferred with the latest versions of Windows and Mac OS. Although the versions listed below are compatible, it's strongly recommended to have the latest operating system for an optimal experience.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
These recommended reference materials are optional, but it's recommended that you purchase the latest version of them to ensure your skill set is up-to-date:
- David K. HAYES and Jack D. NINEMEIER - Hotel Operations Management
- Leonardo INGHILLERI & Micah SOLOMON - Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
- Micah SOLOMON - The Heart of Hospitality: Great Hotel and Restaurant Leaders Share Their Secrets
- Jokima HILLER - 7 EASY Ways to Show Your Employees YOU Care! A Booklet for Hotel Managers and Others
This course will introduce you to the range of hotels in operation and their management policies. The principles learned can be transferred to multiple accommodation types such as hotels, motels, resorts, bed and breakfasts, and any other business that provides accommodation or lodging. You will gain an understanding of the complexities of hotel management and will learn to consider the multiple interrelated aspects of successful hospitality service.
Successful hotel management requires maintaining internal organization, handling internal and guest issues, adapting to constantly evolving industry needs, and implementing regular changes to stay competitive in the current market. This course will prepare you to dive into an exciting and dynamic career in hotels and hospitality.
- Introduction: The Scope and Nature of Hotel Management
- The Hotel Industry
- The Scope of the Industry
- The Firm in the Hotel and Catering Industry
- Hotel Management
- Workplace & Hotel Organization
- The Nature and Purpose of Organization
- The Mechanistic View of Organization
- The Human Relations View of Organization
- The Systems Approach to Organization
- Organization Structure
- The Informal Structure
- Hotel Organization
- Hotel Staff Management
- Work Charts
- Communication and Coordination
- Staff Management
- Monitoring Workloads and Work Procedures
- Authority/Chain of Command
- Career Structure
- Hospitality Control Systems
- Sources and Storage of Information
- Creating and Maintaining Information
- Creating and Maintaining Control Systems
- Types of Control
- Production Control
- Quality Control
- Sales Control
- Labor Utilization Control
- Materials Control
- Maintenance Control
- Financial Control
- Setting Standards and Corrective Action
- Work Study
- Organization and Methods
- Front Desk Operations (Reception)
- The Functions of the Front Office
- Customer Service
- Dealing with Grievances & Complaints
- Understanding Communication
- Conversation Development
- Using the Telephone
- Business Letters
- Promotions and Customer Relations
- Client Interpersonal Skills, Self Esteem & Reinforcement, etc.
- Servicing Rooms and General Cleaning
- Service Equipment
- Direct Purchase of Hire of Equipment
- Linen: Purchase or Hire, Choice of Fabrics, Structure and Properties of Fibers
- Linen Room Organization
- Building and Facility Maintenance
- Periodic and Planned Preventative Maintenance
- Frequent Maintenance Problems
- Safety, Furniture
- Managing Maintenance
- Building Maintenance
- Toilets and Locker Rooms
- Activities Management
- Tour desk, gymnasium, events (e.g. Weddings, balls etc.)
- In house Services
- Recreation Facilities
- Guest Information Services
- Swimming Pools
- Spa & Sauna Facilities
- Activities Management
- Food & Beverage Service
- Types of Food Service (e.g. Room Service, Bar, Restaurant, Coffee Shop etc.)
- Kitchen Design & Equipment
- Service Facilities
- Food Service Management
- Food Purchasing
- Dealing with Complaints
Thea Roberts is an instructor with a background in business administration. Previously, she was a finance officer and employment advisor. She also held a position in the Washington State Ombudsman Program. Roberts holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Master of Arts.