Master the skills you need to obtain certification as a Protection Officer, and prepare yourself for employment in this high-demand field.
What you will learn
- Understand fundamental security guard tasks including patrol, fire prevention and suppression, providing first aid, writing reports, and conducting public relations
- Know techniques and procedures for improving memory and observation skills, taking effective notes, and writing reports
- Know techniques and procedures for controlling access to an area of interest
- Understand how to gather, protect, and present evidence, including witness testimony
- Understand basic safety requirements and advanced first aid procedures
- Understand threats posed by bombs and other explosives
- Describe alarm system components and operation
- Define common criminal offenses, legal jurisdictions, and the powers of a certified protection officer
- Understand central alarm station dispatch operations, alarm system fundamentals, and detection technology
- Know investigation techniques including foundations for surveillance and defensive tactics
How you will benefit
- Prepare yourself for a successful career as a certified protection officer
- Learn how to efficiently and professionally react to a myriad of high intensity situations
- Earn a self-study Certified Protection Officer (CPO) certificate that meets the academic requirements for obtaining the CPO credential
- Develop a thorough understanding of what to expect while working in the industry
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- You must have speakers or headphones.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Looking for a career where you are always in demand? Certified Protection Officers (CPOs) enjoy ample employment opportunities and long-term job security. In this course, offered by Smart Horizons Career Online High School, you will master the skills you need to obtain certification as a protection officer and gain employment in this popular field. As you prepare for your career as a protection officer or security guard, you will learn about report writing, physical security, emergency procedures, workplace violence, traffic control, fire prevention, use of force, and operational risk management. The course is conducted entirely online and gives you the opportunity to learn at your own pace. Throughout, you will have the support of an experienced, enthusiastic teacher who is committed to your success.
When you complete the course, you will earn a self-study Certified Protection Officer (CPO) certificate that meets the academic requirements for obtaining the CPO credential. Get started today, and prepare yourself to enter this exciting career field!
- Protection Office Code of Ethics
- Concepts and Theories of Asset Protection
- The Evolution of Asset Protection and Security
- Role of the Professional Protection Officer
- The Protection Officer as a Leader
- Career Planning for Protection Professionals
- Effective Communications
- Security Awareness
- Central Alarm Stations and Dispatch Operations
- Protection Officer Functions
- Automation in Protection Operations
- Patrol Principles
- Traffic Control
- Crowd Management and Special Event Planning
- Crime Prevention and Physical Security
- Environmental Crime Control
- Physical Security Concepts and Applications
- Alarm System Fundamentals
- Access Control
- Detection Technology
- Safety Fire Protection
- Fire Prevention, Detection, and Response
- Occupational Safety and Health and the Protection Officer
- An All Hazards Approach to Hazardous Materials
- Information Protection
- Information Security and Counterintelligence
- Deviance, Crime, and Violence
- Workplace Crime and Deviance
- Substance Abuse
- Workplace Violence
- Crisis Intervention
- Strikes, Lockouts, and Labor Relations
- Risk and Threat Management
- Security Risk Management
- Emergency Planning
- Antiterrorism and VIP Protection
- Investigations: Concepts and Practices for Security Professionals
- Crime and Incident Scene Procedures
- Interviewing and Statements
- Foundations for Surveillance
- Report Writing and Field Notes
- Legal Aspects of Security
- Legal Aspects of Security
- Officer Safety and Use of Force
- Use of Force
- Defensive Tactics and Officer Safety
- Industrial Hazards, Safety, and the Security Patrol Officer
- Apprehension and Detention Procedures
- Relations With Others
- Human Relations in a Global Environment
- Public Relations
- Community Relations: Making Strategy Come Alive
- Networking and the Liaison Function
- Ethics and Professionalism
Darlene Lawrence is an academic coach and childcare and education instructor with five years of experience. She holds a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master's degree in teaching.