This online course will prepare you to enter the freight/logistics industry and start your own freight broker business or become a freight agent.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or later.
- Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Become part of the exciting trucking, freight logistics, and transportation industries as a licensed freight broker or as a freight broker agent. Freight broker training will help you learn the skills you need to be a successful Freight Broker/Agent. From licensing and operations to sales and marketing, you'll learn the basics of how to run a domestic freight brokerage or agency in the United States.
Freight brokerage is a growing, service-based industry. As a freight agent or broker, you connect shippers and manufacturers with transportation companies and manage those shipments. Entrepreneur magazine has rated the freight brokerage business as one of the top home-based businesses to own, and a Wall Street Journal article cited freight brokering and logistics as the largest growing sector of the transportation industry.
Written by freight brokerage specialists, this freight broker course will provide you with the knowledge and resources needed to break into the shipping industry. From transportation law, contracts, and insurance, to setting up and running your own business, this is the best online freight broker training available.
Job Opportunity and Resources
Brooke Transportation Training Solutions hosts a weekly event called Resource Friday, which includes a virtual event held one Friday a month, exclusively for their graduates. During this virtual event, all of our freight broker graduates have the opportunity to join in on a broker-agent resource day, to hear participating brokers give presentations regarding agent opportunities with their company. Additionally, the graduates are provided with additional valuable resources that can greatly benefit them in the operations of their freight brokerage/agency. Brooke Transportation is the only training provider currently offering this excellent resource.
- The Basics of Freight Brokering
- Setting Up Your Business and Office
- Setting Goals and Developing Your Corporate Identity
- Setting Up Your Shipper Packet and Your Carrier Packet
- Operations and Using Operations Software
- Types of Freight and Exploring Niche Markets
- Transportation Law
- Broker-Carrier Contracts
- Broker-Shipper Agreements
- Insurance for Carriers and Brokers
- Recordkeeping, Accounting, and Financial Management
- Determining Your Rate Quotes
- Carrier Relations and Solutions for Success
- Sales and Profitability
- Advanced Marketing
- Develop Your Negotiation Skills
What you will learn
- The basics of freight brokering.
- How to use the documents and software common to the industry.
- All about transportation law, insurance, and agreements and contracts.
- How to set up and run your business, including recordkeeping, determining quotes, and negotiation and marketing techniques.
How you will benefit
- Freight broker school can provide you with the resources you need to obtain your brokerage licensing/authority from the federal government.
- Graduates will be able to participate in our weekly job opportunity event called Resource Friday-read more about it below.
Jan Roach entered the transportation field and became a partner in a freight brokerage operation in 1995. For over 10 years, she ran a brokerage/freight agency, overseeing sales, marketing, accounting and claims, and day-to-day operations. Roach holds a Bachelor of Science from Baylor University and has provided training for the freight industry since 2001.
Jeff Roach has been in the transportation and freight brokerage industry since 1986. He founded operating his own freight brokerage in 1995, after working as the vice president of national accounts for a major truckload carrier with an air freight division. He grew his brokerage into a multimillion-dollar business and began developing freight broker courses in 2001. Roach is a graduate of Abilene Christian University, holding a Bachelor of Science.