Improve your company’s bottom line by mastering the fundamentals of purchasing.
Discover and master the fundamentals of purchasing by understanding your strategic and tactical roles as a purchasing practitioner. Improve your company's bottom-line profitability by learning and implementing key concepts such as negotiation, supplier sourcing and qualification, outsourcing and make-or-buy analysis. Learn the basics of supplier partnerships, capital budgeting and green buying.
In this six-week online course, you will learn how to define internal customer needs, generate purchase requisitions and purchase orders, expedite, trace and receive supplier deliveries, maintain effective purchasing records and create and manage various purchasing budgets. You'll learn about business law, contracts, leasing, Six Sigma and total quality management (TQM). You will also learn how to recruit, select and evaluate purchasing personnel, and learn the importance of business ethics.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.1 Contributions of Purchasing
2 Organizational Strategy and Purchasing Response
3 Elements of the Purchasing Cycle
4 The Purchasing Cycle (Conclusion); Make or Buy Analysis; Leasing
5 Supplier Sourcing
6 Green Buying; Purchasing Records; Competitive Bidding
7 Business Law, Contracts, and Legal Forms of the Organization
8 Six Sigma and Total Quality Management; ERP/MRP II
9 Introduction to Budgeting
10 Capital Budgeting
11 Supplier Partnerships; Ethics and Organizational Politics
12 Recruiting, Training, and Evaluating Purchasing Personnel