Prepare for the AAPC CIC™ certification exam and learn the principles of medical coding related to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. Prepaid exam voucher included.
What you will learn
- How to apply the official ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding guidelines for diagnoses and procedures
- Understand the different types of hospital facilities and their documentation and coding standards
- Understand the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set (UHDDS) coding guideline
- Differentiate between inpatient and outpatient services and payment methodologies (IPPS and OPPS)
- Understand the difference between MS-DRGs and APC assignments
How you will benefit
- Holding the CIC™ certification credential validates the expert level knowledge
- Specialized medical coding experience helps with career advancement
- According to Indeed.com, more remote coding positions are available for certified inpatient coders
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Windows Media Player or a similar program.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- ICD-10-CM Expert for Hospitals
- ICD-10-PCS Expert
Demand for medical coders will grow 13% by 2026, so there's no better time to advance your career. This online medical coding course will train you to become a Certified Inpatient Coder.
The AAPC Certified Inpatient Coder (CIC™) credential proves that you are an expert in inpatient medical records review. Earning CIC™ certification requires previous work experience, so most professionals prepare for the exam while working full-time. With this course's flexible online format, you can prepare for the CIC™ exam on your own schedule.
- Inpatient Facilities and Related Hospital Departments
- Anatomy and Medical Terminology Review
- Inpatient Documentation and Coding
- Inpatient Diagnosis Coding – General Guidelines
- Inpatient Diagnosis Coding – Chapter Specific Guidelines
- ICD-10-PCS Procedure Coding
- CMS and Inpatient Prospective Payment Systems
- Outpatient Prospective Payment Systems
- Regulatory and Payer Requirements
- Business in the Facility
- Compliance in the Facility
- Inpatient Coding Cases
Kathryn Williamson, CPC, CIC, is the education specialist for the inpatient curriculum at AAPC. Prior to working in an outpatient medical facility, she started her career as a dental assistant. She has been a medical coder for over 6 years and works as sole on-site coder for a 40-bed full-service hospital.