This online High School Diploma with Hospitality and Leisure course will prepare you for a career in the events, leisure, food services, tourism, and hospitality industries. The course teaches the customer service, personal, and professional skills used in a wide variety of locations and settings.
What you will learn
- Earn your AdvancED/SACS accredited high school diploma
- Earn a "Leisure and Hospitality" career certificate
- Complete a career portfolio with cover letter, resume, and more
How you will benefit
- Receive an accredited high diploma, which allows you to apply for a broader scope of jobs
- Develop the skills needed to thrive in a professional setting or at a higher education institution
- Learn how to effectively study, communicate, and problem solve, and take these skills into your personal and professional life
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- Speakers or headphones.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
The Hospitality and Leisure Certificate course prepares you for a career in the events, leisure, food services, tourism, and hospitality industries. The course teaches customer service, personal, and professional skills used in a wide variety of locations and settings. This is an excellent opportunity for those already working in one of these industries who want to apply for a management position, or for those interested in starting a new careerin one of these fields.
Career Online High School is a division of Smart Horizons Career Online Education, a private school district that has been granted District Accreditation from the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) accreditation seal. This means that the SHCOE district and all its schools are accredited, and that Smart Horizons Career Online Education is recognized across the nation as a quality school system.
AdvancED is the unified organization of the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). AdvancED provides nationally recognized accreditation for school districts and individual schools and represents 27,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 65 countries worldwide, educating 15 million students.
Students and community members can learn more about the District Accreditation Process at www.advanc-ed.org.
Smart Horizons has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), 1780 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500 McLean, VA 22102.
"Students interested in pursuing post-secondary education within their state should check with the state to understand the requirements. States may impose requirements for receiving state financial aid. For example, an online high school diploma may not be recognized by some colleges and universities within a state to receive financial aid. It is recommended that students check with a specific institution for any specific restrictions—this is particularly important for residents of New York and New Jersey."
- Hospitality and Leisure IV: Semester 1
- Hospitality and Leisure IV: Semester 1 Pretest
- The Hospitality and Leisure Services Industry
- Beneficial Skills, Knowledge, and Attributes for the Hospitality Industry
- History of Temporary Lodging
- The Accommodation Sector 1
- The Accommodation Sector 2
- Food and Beverage Service Jobs 1
- Food and Beverage Service Jobs 2
- Bloodborne Pathogens Awareness
- Foodborne Illnesses
- Personal Identifiable Information
- Gaining Trust
- Losing and Rebuilding Trust
- Relationships In and Out of the Workplace
- Drug Misuse and Abuse
- Alcohol Misuse and Abuse
- Hospitality and Leisure IV: Semester 1 End of Semester Exam
- Learn definitions and tasks performed by peer specialists
- Learn the value of inspiring hope and contributing to the development of a recovery culture
- Be introduced to appropriate roles in the workplace
- Understand how their own values are formed and how understanding themselves effects the way in which they understand others
- Be introduced to concepts such as conflict resolution, cultural competency and tolerance
- Understand the importance of self-care and design a self-care plan
- Hospitality and Leisure IV: Semester 2
- Hospitality and Leisure IV: Semester 2 Pretest
- Golf Course and Resort Jobs
- National and State Park Jobs
- Theme and Amusement Park Jobs
- Casino and Gaming Industry Jobs
- Event Coordination
- Hospitality Law
- Situational Awareness
- Security Awareness
- Understanding and Preparing for Active Shooter Events
- Preventing and Responding to Active Shooter Events
- Discrimination in the Workplace
- Choosing the Right Resume for the Job
- Writing a Winning Resume
- Using Technology and Your Resume
- Preparing for an Interview
- Attending an Interview
- Hospitality and Leisure IV: Semester 2 End of Semester Exam
Karen Panerali has more than 20 years of experience in instruction, curriculum development, and academic support. Her teaching experience includes high school, college, and corporate training settings. She holds a Bachelor of Art in Journalism and a Master of Arts in liberal arts studies.