You will learn comprehensive training in the InAccord model of mediation with a special focus on Healthcare and Eldercare disputes.
What you will learn
- Articulate the use of the INACCORD® Conflict Analysis model for use in healthcare and eldercare mediation
- Examine the Three Phases and Four Stages of the INACCORD® model
- Explore the pre-interview and post interview phases of the INACCORD® mediation as applied to health and eldercare disputes
- Apply the Touchstone Skills of questioning, reflecting, and reframing to simulated mediation cases
- Apply INACCORD® surveys to simulated cases and analyze the results
- Examine ways the healthcare system and eldercare issues generate conflict
- Understand theories related to healthcare and family systems and apply concepts to healthcare/eldercare disputes
- Identify common healthcare and eldercare disputes and the various roles played by involved parties
- Understand the mental and physical effects of aging and apply mediation to specific issues
- Demonstrate an understanding of mediation ethics and bioethical standards as they apply to healthcare and eldercare issues
How you will benefit
- Receive four individual certificates in Mediation, Applied Mediation Practice, Health and Eldercare Mediation and Professional Health and Eldercare Mediator
- Prepare to work in a hospital, nursing home, assisted living facility, research lab, private practice, insurance company, and more
- Better the lives of the aging population by helping clients resolve conflicts
- Help families navigate aging and end of life issues while preserving their lifelong relationships
- Embark on a meaningful career that will be fulfilling both professionally and personally
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- You need a microphone to participate in the role play practices.
- PC: Windows Vista or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Microsoft Word (not included in enrollment).
- Windows Media Player
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. Your materials will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment.
This course provides you with the skills needed to become a practicing mediator specializing in healthcare or eldercare disputes. It provides training in the INACCORD® conflict resolution model, and offers you the chance to practice your skills through simulated roleplaying exercises. Additional specialized training will cover healthcare and eldercare topics including bioethics, family-provider disputes, elder abuse, and common billing and insurance conflicts. Upon successful completion, Mediators Without Borders will award you individual professional certifications in Mediation, Applied Mediation Practice, Healthcare and Eldercare Mediation, and Professional Healthcare and Eldercare Mediation. A final exam is optional upon completion of the course.
- INACCORD® Mediation Certificate
- Justice and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Overview of INACCORD® Conflict Analysis Model
- Phases and Stages of the INACCORD® Conflict Analysis Model
- The Touchstone Skills Part I
- The Touchstone Skills Part II
- Crafting the Memorandum of Agreement
- Special Issues In Mediation
- Legal Processes and Ethics
- INACCORD® Applied Practice
- INACCORD® Conflict Analysis in Practice
- Touchstone Skills in Practice
- INACCORD® Demo Practice
- Facilitating INACCORD® Phase Two, Stage 1 Interventions
- Facilitating the InAccord® Caucus
- INACCORD® Phase Two, Stages 2 & 3 Interventions
- INACCORD® Phase Two, Stage 4 Interventions
- Ethical Dilemmas and Mitigation
- Healthcare and Eldercare Mediation
- Common Conflicts in Health and Eldercare
- The Field of Eldercare Mediation
- The Bioethics Mediation Process
- Probate and Trust Mediation
- Family Mediation Skills
- Workplace Disputes in Healthcare and Elder Mediation
- Systems Theory and Organizational Development
- Conflicts within the Health Insurance Industry
Brian Luther is a Colorado licensed attorney and certified mediator and arbitrator. He has more than 15 years of mediation and dispute resolution experience. He spent eight years supervising and mentoring attorneys at LexisNexis, a leading legal research corporation and over five years as Lead Trainer and Internship Supervisor for Mediators Without Borders. Luther presides as an impartial Hearing Officer for the City of Longmont, Colorado and was just appointed as an alternate board member for the City of Longmont Board of Adjustments & Appeals. He is a graduate of Rutgers University and has a law degree from the New England School of Law.